Thursday, January 14, 2010

On My Mind

A rare collaboration. I asked Stacey Lucas to write some lyrics, just to see if a songwriting idea might come out of them. I got these lyrics in the mail, and to my surprise, I was able to set music to them quickly and without any major editorial changes. The recording on Onward To Yesterday features congas that I bought in Asheville, NC the day I played the song live for the first time.


On My Mind

They say everything happens for a reason
And what will be will be
But I won't see you 'til next season
Heavy pending on "we'll see"

My eyes wander 'round the space in here
Smoky haze and cheap beers and dim light
There's people laughing, people dancing
The room is full of you tonight

Chorus: Beyond any shadow of a doubt
It sure was my time to go
There's no way to deny
The winds of change as they blow
But tonight - tonight, oh
You're on my mind so

Bluegrass plays out to the crowd
As I set my glass for one last brew
It's getting late, the crowd grows scarce
As the band plays to the last few

The bartender wipes the tables
And sets the stools upon the bar
I think of you and I just smile
At thoughts of where you are

(Chorus)

Please don't mistake this all for sadness
'Cause I am grateful for where I am
I just can't shake this sense of wonder
At what's to come and when

(Chorus)

I'm more than alive - these times, they aren't tough
I know in this world I've got more than enough
I'm satisfied - and I'm glad to do this
To do this on my own
But tonight - oh tonight
You're just - you're on my mind so


This song (and the others on Onward To Yesterday) can be heard on the music player to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment